Wednesday, May 14, 2014

California Roots Insider Tips for Saturday

California Roots Insider Tips for Saturday:




Saturday for me is mostly about the headliners...and thats no disrespect to the other bands.  Ive listened to a lot of them, and I am super intrigued to check them out.  However, there are 2 bands on Saturday that are absolute DONT MISS bands for me...here they are.


Saturday:






With the burgeoning SoCal reggae scene blossoming, True Press is emerging from a plethora of talented bands.  With these new, hard working, regularly touring bands hitting the scene hard, standing out is a task in itself.  True Press makes me weak in the knees with their sounds. Full of talented creative musicians with conscious lyrics that focus on positive world change, love and self betterment.  Through songs such as  ‘Lovely Situation’, ‘Wake Up Cry’, ‘Anything is Possible’, ‘Soul Rebel’ and ‘Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies’ True Press gently reminds us that “Anything is Possible”, especially when its done with “love, sweet love”.


I love the horn section and the solid rhythm, backing Pedros soulful vocals.  My favorite song on the album is “Wake up Cry”, it has a great little guitar riff at the beginning and I love the melody.  It gets stuck in my head all day. “Consider this your wakeup call, to all, consider this your wake up cry, its time.”  ‘Lovely Situation’, ‘Anything is Possible’, ‘Soul Rebel’ and ‘Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies’ all are right behind in the favorites category.


Mellow and with just enough energy backing them up that you can't help but groove and want to get up and dance, True Press is music you can't get enough of.  True Press hits The Original Stage Saturday at 4:25.  Be there.  You can also find True Press in the following places:






DATP is not to be missed.  I mean it.  Put their set time in your phone and set an alarm...these guys kill it!!!!  Dewey and the Peoples takes a unique spin on reggae with heavy blues and rock influences in their music.  Front man Darren Robinson writes lyrics from the heart and shreds on the guitar with the chops of a pro blues musician.  All of this, wrapped up in sweet cali style reggae rythms.  


I was shocked when I found out this band is comprised of members in their very early 20’s….lead singer Darren is freshly 21.  They carry themselves with the air of confidence and focus rarely found anymore.  They have fun onstage, and are a tightly knit unit, and their playing reflects that.  


One of my favorite songs is “Put Me Down”, its a great anthem for standing up for who you are and what you believe in


“You wanna push me out, you wanna turn me down, you wanna stop my sound, and you wont stop me now, and you wont break me down. So just think next time before you turn me out.”


I have seen DATP on more than one occasion, and am still excited to see them as though it was the first time.  The energy they bring to the stage and the punch that they pack gets you every time.  You can catch DATP at noon sharp on The Original Stage...dont forget...set those alarms!


You can also find Dewey and the Peoples in the following places:


Website:  www.deweyandthepeoples.com



No comments:

Post a Comment